Aims of City Heights:
- A stimulating and safe environment for children.
- Educational and care programmes which meet the needs of each child and follow the national curriculum Te Whariki and the Montessori curriculum.
- Support for families and opportunities for parent education.
- Opportunities for the centre staff, management and parents to work in partnership.
- Registered, qualified and experienced staff to achieve all the above purposes and aims.
- A ratio of staff to children, which is better than the required minimum ratios.
- Provide quality Montessori education and childcare for children of parents who are in the full-time workforce or studying as well as those wanting Montessori or childcare only.
Established in 1990 City Heights is housed in two gracious villas and purpose built classrooms set in spacious natural grounds, overlooking Dunedin city and harbour. Teachers are chosen for their qualifications, experience and dedication. Children at City Heights grow and develop in a warm, nurturing atmosphere where the programme is designed to meet each individual child’s changing needs and aspirations following the Montessori and Te Whariki national curricula. Catering mainly to parents in the work force or studying the centre closes only for statutory holidays and between Christmas and New Year.
We are proud to be the first pre-school in New Zealand and only centre in Dunedin to offer full childcare and Montessori classes. Children can come to the centre just for the Montessori classes or a longer day for regular childcare experiences. Children’s learning is documented in private secure e-portfolios (Educa) which parents can view online on computers, tablets and phones as soon as they are published. Parents can communicate with the centre through Educa by adding learning stories, photos and comments.